How to Influence Policy and Gain the Attention of Legislators
Includes sections on:
- The "markup" of legislation by committee chairs is the most significant step in the congressional legislative process.
- Contacts with people on both sides of the aisle are essential.
- "Values trump data," but research can exert a critical influence on public policy.
- State-level advocates need to understand the 1 percent of their government that is unique.
- Developing a long-term relationship with state legislators is critical.